Trip Style: Road Trip (Self Drive / Chauffer Driven)
Duration: 14 nights/15 days
Route: Delhi – Nalagarh – Manali – Jispa – Leh – Pangong Lake – Leh – Nubra Valley – Leh – Kargil – Srinagar – Amritsar – Delhi
- Manali – Leh Drive – One of the most beautiful drives in the world
- Drive through Rohtang Pass (13050 feet)
- Pangong Lake – Get lured by the turquoise blue waters of the Pangong Lake
- Drive to Khardung La – the highest motorable road in the world at 18380 feet
- Desert safari on double humped Bactrian camel at Nubra Valley
- Leh Town – Visit Shanti Stupa, Magnetic Hill, Pathar Sahib Gurudwara and more!
- River Rafting and other activities
- Kargil – Visit the Kargil War Memorial
- Camp stays
- Enjoy the scenic beauty of the heavenly Srinagar
- Srinagar – Take a Shikara ride on the Dal Lake!
- Visit to the Golden Temple and Jallianwala Bagh
We can also pre-book any activities that you may want to engage in.
- River Rafting – Prepare to get very wet!!!
From Phey to Nimmu – for beginners, Grade I and II
From Chiling to Nimmu – Grade II and III
On the Indus around Skurbuchan – for experienced rafters, Grade IV
- Mountain Bike Rides – Get ready for free – wheel trips to Khardung La
- Guided Tours – Peek into some ‘secret’ corners and discover some closed ancient
- Hiking and Trekking – Forget the typical routes and check out the interesting alternative
- Accommodations: All hotels and camp stays
- Meals: Breakfast only
- Self Drive Vehicle
- Doorstep vehicle pickup and dropoff in Delhi NCR
- Useful Road Maps
- Towing Strap
- Air Pump
- Wireless Radio Sets (For 2 or more cars)
- First Aid Kit
- Camping Chairs
- Currently applicable taxes and service charges
- Meals not included in Hotel reservations.
- Fuel, Toll and interstate taxes (for self drive car hire)
- International Driving License (Mandatory for Foreign Nationals)
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Insurance, tips, Personal phone calls
- Airfare/train fare
- Credit Card Authorization/Refundable Security Deposit for Self Drive Vehicle
- Travel Insurance.
- Entry fees (Any kind)
- Any cost arising out of unforeseen circumstances like ill health, Vehicle Breakdown, landslide,
roadblocks, bad weather etc.
- Any charges for carrying video camera, still camera etc
The Itinerary for Ladakh Road Trip has been designed for gradual acclimatization and to include the best hotel options available on this route.
Delhi – Nalagarh (320 kms/5 hrs)
Start the drive from Delhi to reach Nalagarh via Karnal, Ambala & Pinjore. Check in at the hotel. Evening free to relax and have leisure time.
Nalagarh – Manali (275 kms/7 hrs)
Post breakfast begin onward drive to Manali via Bilaspur,Mandi & Kullu. Enjoy the scenic drive as you pass by gentle hills clothed with green forests after Nalagarh. Reach Manali by late evening and stay overnight in Manali. You can also enjoy the hustle bustle of Mall road.
Manali to Jispa via Rohtang Pass (140 kms/6 hrs)
Make an early start at 4 AM (packed breakfast will be provided by the hotel) and drive to Jispa, a small village in the Lahaul region. En route, you will get the first glimpse of the Rohtang Pass, located at 13,050 feet. Dry and very cold, it is surrounded by high mountains on all sides, the Great Himalayas to the north, the Pir Panjal to the South and the Spiti-Chandra watershed to the east. The barren landscape and sparse vegetation lends a magnificent charm to this otherwise bleak region. It is important to leave at 4 AM to avoid getting caught up in the tourist traffic at Rohtang Pass. On your way, stop at Keylong village from where you can see the awe-inspiring Shingri Glacier in all its majesty. Have lunch at the famous Koksar Dhaba and continue driving towards Jispa after a quick stop for refuelling at Tandi. Overnight at Jispa.
Take a break in Jispa today to acclimatize and to get ready for the steep climb in the coming days. Enjoy a cultural programme performed by local kids of Jispa and drive your vehicles at the banks of Bhaga river for lunch in the cool surroundings of Jispa.
Jispa to Leh (330 kms/10 hrs)
After a good nights’ rest, start at 5 AM. Get set for a long drive on high altitudes. Feel the raw power of the Himalayas as the road towards the mighty Baralacha-La Pass (16,049 feet above sea level), Pang Valley and Tanglangla Pass (17,585 feet above sea level) beckons you forward. From Jispa, the drive is along the Bhaga River up towards its source, and then to the Baralacha-La Pass. The terrain is rugged, the air crisp, and the villagers here chaste and simple. It could be another world altogether. Stop for lunch at Pang and reach Leh by late evening. Overnight in Leh.
It is time to give your nerves the much deserved rest. Spend a relaxed day in Leh, or the roof of the world as it is known. Visit the Shanti Stupa, an imposing structure situated on a hill. From here, enjoy a bird’s eye view of the Leh town. Also check out the relatively modern Shankar Monastery, which is closely associated with the Spituk Monastery. Overnight in Leh.
Leh – Pangong Lake – Leh (320 kms/10 hrs)
Start early at 5 AM (packed breakfast will be provided by the hotel) to drive to Pangong Lake, situated at an altitude of 14,271 feet above sea level, in the northeast of Leh. The bare rolling hills interspersed with dusty valleys are the setting for the spectacular lakes in the area. En route, stop at Thiksey monastery for early morning prayers. Beyond Thiksey village, there is nothing but the extreme mountain ranges as far as the eye can see.
The second stop is the Changla Pass (17,350 ft.), which could test ones lungs, for the lack of oxygen. Drive on till you reach Pangong Lake, a tourist paradise and of great geological significance. Part of the lake runs through the Indo-Chinese border. Enjoy lunch next to the sparkling blue waters of the Lake. Start driving back towards Leh and arrive by late evening.
Leh – Nubra Valley (120 kms/4 hrs)
After breakfast, start driving towards Nubra Valley situated in the north of Leh, at about 10,000 feet above sea level. The road, which climbs up and over the Khardung La, at approximately 18,380 feet, is believed to be the highest motorable road in the world. After crossing the Pass, you will see Khardong village, stop for lunch at Khalser and cross Deskit (the main villages of Nubra valley). Spend the night in deluxe camps.
Nubra Valley – Leh (120 kms/4 hrs)
Post breakfast, drive to Hunder village where you can enjoy a camel safari on two hump bactrian camels in sand dunes and continue towards the famous Deskit monastery. Stop for lunch at North Pullu and reach Leh by afternoon. Spend the rest of the day sightseeing, shopping or simply lazing around in the resort.
Overnight in Leh.
You have done a lot of driving. Take a break and relax in the laid back town of Leh. If you are upto it test your nerves at river rafting!
Leh –Kargil (230 kms/6 hrs)
After breakfast, leave for Kargil. Enroute, visit Pathar Sahib gurudwara and stop at the Magnetic Hill. You can actually switch off the ignition and still move up hill at a speed of 20 km/ hour. While driving, you’ll come across this unearthly looking landscape, which could be taken away from the moon and put directly in the great Himalayas. The rocks emerge in numerous forms and gradations of yellow to grey. Stop for lunch at Mulbek village. Overnight in Kargil.
Kargil – Srinagar (210 kms/6 hrs)
Early morning, leave for Srinagar, crossing Zozilla Pass (11,575ft) and Drass Valley, the second coldest inhabited place in world. Stop at Sonamarg for lunch and complete the final leg of the journey driving towards Srinagar. Overnight at Srinagar.
Spend the day sightseeing in Srinagar, a paradise valley in the state of Jammu and Kashmir. Enjoy a Shikara ride on Dal Lake and see the floating vegetable gardens. Also see Nishant Bagh, Shankaracharya Temple and shop for souvenirs at Lal Chowk market.
Srinagar – Amritsar (460 kms/9 hrs)
Start early in the morning for the long drive to Amritsar. Stop for lunch at the gorgeous hill station of Patnitop. Stay overnight in Amritsar.
Amritsar – Delhi (460 kms/9 hrs)
Finally on the last day of your adventure drive. After an early breakfast, visit the Golden Temple and the Jallianwala Bagh. In the afternoon start driving towards Delhi. You have accomplished which only a few can dream of and the memories of this incredible journey will stay with you forever!
||Baikunth Resort/Honeymoon Inn
||The Lalit/ The Taj
Vehicles for Hire:
The following cars are available on hire for Self Drive & Chauffer Driven from us
- Toyota Innova
- Toyota Fortuner
Package Cost Per Person (INR)
|List of Cars
Note – Important facts about self drive cars to Ladakh
In Ladakh, tourist season is only 4 months. To support local taxi operators taxis from other states are not
allowed to go in certain regions as the local taxi union wants tourists to give business to their local people.
So for Nubra & Pangong Lake you may have to hire a local taxi in Ladakh at an additional cost. Driving self
drive car from Delhi to Leh and back to Delhi is not an issue.
Alternatively, you can offer some donation at the taxi union, to self drive the hired car.
- 25% of the Tour cost will be charged if the tour cancelled anytime after confirmation till 30 days prior to start date.
- 50% of the tour cost will be charged as cancellation if tour is cancelled in less than 29-15 days prior to start date.
- 75% of the tour cost will be charged as cancellation if tour is cancelled in less than 14-8 days prior to start date.
- 100% of the tour cost will be charged as cancellation if trip is cancelled in less than 7 days prior to start date.