Trip Style: Self Drive Road Trip
Duration: 08 nights/09 days
Route: Delhi – Narkanda – Sangla – Kalpa – Nako Lake – Tabo – Kaza – Losar – Kunzum Pass – Chandra Taal (Lake) – Rohtang Pass – Manali
- Accommodations: All hotels and camp stays
- Meals: Breakfast only
- Self Drive Vehicle
- Doorstep vehicle pickup and dropoff in Delhi NCR
- Useful Road Maps
- Towing Strap
- Air Pump
- Wireless Radio Sets (For 2 or more cars)
- First Aid Kit
- Camping Chairs
- Currently applicable taxes and service charges
- Meals not included in Hotel reservations.
- Fuel, Toll and interstate taxes (for self drive car hire)
- International Driving License (Mandatory for Foreign Nationals)
- Alcoholic Drinks
- Insurance, tips, Personal phone calls
- Airfare/train fare
- Credit Card Authorization/Refundable Security Deposit for Self Drive Vehicle
- Travel Insurance.
- Entry fees (Any kind)
- Any cost arising out of unforeseen circumstances like ill health, Vehicle Breakdown, landslide,
roadblocks, bad weather etc.
- Any charges for carrying video camera, still camera etc
The Itinerary for Lahaul and Spiti Road Trip has been designed for gradual acclimatization and to include the best hotel options available on this route.
Delhi – Narkanda (450 kms/ 09 hours)
We will stay amidst apple orchards in Narkanda. Enjoy stories and history of the place over a bonfire dinner. Leave Delhi at dawn, so you arrive on time to watch the sun set.
Narkanda – Sarahan – Sangla (150 kms/ 05 hours)
Early morning orchard walk followed by breakfast. Leave for Sangla in Kinnaur district, and picnic on the way. Reach in time for evening tea to enjoy the crisp twilight zone.
Day 3 & 4
Explore the Sangla/ Chitkul/ Raksham region
Enjoy the beauty and adventure of Sangla Valley to the full on this day. Drive to Chitkul, a pretty village on the ancient Hindustan – Tibet route. You can hike 5kms to the armed forces border post overlooking China, or just relax and enjoy a picnic. There is also an option to try your hand at rock climbing, Rappelling, River Crossing and Trout Fishing – extra charges may apply for some of these. Sangla is known for its day hikes. Those looking for soft adventure can join the Raksham walk that takes you along rivers, through meadows and forests and over glaciers. And for the ardier lot, there is the challenging meadows trekthat will have you seek a masseuse at the end of the day. Also visit the pretty villages around, and enjoy sitting along the Baspariver.
Sangla – Nako – Tabo – Kaza (240 kms/ Full Day)
This will be a day of fun driving. Start pre- dawn to catch the early morning serenity of Kalpa, the only place in India where pine nuts (chilkozas) grow. And you cannot but feel over- awed with the
KinnerKailash peak looking upon you. Go to the small but picturesque Nako Lake and enjoy your lunch along the banks of the lake. Then proceed to Tabo, with its awesome mud monastery dating back to 996 A.D., the oldest in the country. Look up to the mountain faces, and you will find caves where people still live in. Continue on to Kaza at an altitude of 12000 feet, reaching in the evening for a much deserved rest.
Exploring Kaza– Visit Pin Valley National Park, High altitude villages of Langza, Hikkim and Komic
The villages around Kaza are believed to be the highest in the world, mostly caught in their own time warp. The drives to these villages are stunning to say the least. Drop in at the Key Monastery, perched on a cliff looking down at the spectacular valleys below.
Kaza – Chandra Taal – Kaza (200 kms/ 07 hours)
This will be the most memorable day of the whole drive. Make a pre- dawn departure and head to the majestic Kunzum La (pass) where strong winds blow all year, and snow flake fall even in summers. Drive on a 12 kms dirt track followed by a 2 kms hike to get to the spectacular Chandra Taal (lake).
Kaza – Manali (205 kms/ 05 hours)
Leave at dawn for Manali for yet another day of memorable driving via Rohtang Pass. Drive along and over rivers, cross glaciers, and bump along undulating tracks. It may be dusk when you reach Manali. Take rest in your hotel or take a stroll in the hustle and bustle of the mall road.
Manali – Delhi (570 kms/ 13 hours)
Time to head back to Delhi.
Vehicles for Hire:
The following cars are available on hire for Self Drive & Chauffer Driven from us:
- Toyota Innova
- Toyota Fortuner
Package Cost Per Person (INR)
|List of Cars
Note – Important facts about self drive cars to Ladakh
In Ladakh, tourist season is only 4 months. To support local taxi operators taxis from other states are not
allowed to go in certain regions as the local taxi union wants tourists to give business to their local people.
So for Nubra & Pangong Lake you may have to hire a local taxi in Ladakh at an additional cost. Driving self
drive car from Delhi to Leh and back to Delhi is not an issue.
Alternatively, you can offer some donation at the taxi union, to self drive the hired car.
- 25% of the Tour cost will be charged if the tour cancelled anytime after confirmation till 30 days prior to start date.
- 50% of the tour cost will be charged as cancellation if tour is cancelled in less than 29-15 days prior to start date.
- 75% of the tour cost will be charged as cancellation if tour is cancelled in less than 14-8 days prior to start date.
- 100% of the tour cost will be charged as cancellation if trip is cancelled in less than 7 days prior to start date.